Followers

Tuesday 15 September 2015

Day 16:


Medication


I did say I was going to talk about my experience of therapy but I have a bit more thinking to do on what to say. So meanwhile, I will talk a bit more about treatment and medication. 
No medication is currently licensed to treat BPD. However, medications are often used if you have another mental health condition alongside BPD, such as depression or anxiety disorder. 
BPD patients are continuously in and out of crisis. A crisis is when your symptoms are really severe and you have an increased risk of self-harm. If you are in treatment, you should be given phone numbers to call in a crisis. Sometimes just talking to a member of a crisis team is enough to bring you out of it. 
Sometimes you can be admitted to hospital under the Mental Health Act for your own safety, but only in serious cases. This would only be for a short time until your symptoms improve.
Some people fail to respond to treatment and it can be because of three major problems. Firstly, inadequate management of medication. Secondly, an ineffective psychotherapeutic approach and lastly, an undiagnosed or ineffectively treated co-occuring disorder.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure) I have a morbid fear of medication. I have been prescribed various anti-depressants etc in the past but I cannot take them. I can't even take a paracetemol. 
This "problem" was touched on very briefly in therapy but it has never really been addressed. I think that it is another way of punishing myself. My anxiety just won't let me take anything. I tried twice and felt out of control, had a panic attack and swore never to take another pill. I still think that it is a need to punish myself though. I hope to explain more about that later on......  

No comments:

Post a Comment